"You will need a special focus, a map and a pathway in order to undertake the great preparation in The Way of Knowledge. In addition, you will need the correct curriculum, instruction, attitude, companions and way of evaluating your progress." 
"Your function in life now is to be a student of Knowledge." 
"Accept your studenthood so that you may learn to give to the world." 
"Be totally engaged with your studenthood." 
"Come to your studenthood then with a determination to proceed, to take the journey of many steps, to have the courage to face yourself—your mind, your emotions, your self-criticisms, your self-doubt, even the criticism and doubt of others, all the things that keep you in bondage at this moment." 
A force for good in the world
"You who are claiming your studenthood in Knowledge will claim your advocacy for Knowledge. In this, you will increasingly become a force for good in the world—a force that dispels ambivalence, confusion, and conflict, a force for peace, a force for certainty and a force for true cooperation and relationship." 
"I don't really encourage scholarship."
- Greater Community Spirituality, Chapter 10
- Steps to Knowledge, Step 262
- Steps to Knowledge, Step 272
- Steps to Knowledge, Step 362
- Being a Student of the New Message (November 29, 2009)
- Steps to Knowledge, Step 310: I am free because I desire to give.
- Marshall Vian Summers, October 18, 2018, at the Encampment of the New Message, Estes Park, Colorado, USA